Misterton PC Minutes 18.01.2022

 Minutes of the meeting of Misterton Parish Council 

Tuesday, 18th January at 6.30pm, Misterton WI Hall


Cllr Iain Rowland (Chair)                 Cllr Graham White           Cllr Abbie Rousell

Cllr Brian McNeill                             Cllr Leo Bacigalupo          Cllr Paul Gillard

In attendance

Louise Stobbs (Clerk), County and District Councillor Mike Best and 4 Members of the pubic


The chairman led the meeting in a one minute silence in memory of Cllr Geoff Restorick.


Public Open Forum                                                                                                                                                                 

Members of the public in attendance at the meeting raised the following issues;

  • Walkway near the railway line needs more chippings laid.
  • Signs laying on the grass on the triangle at Knowle lane are still there.
  • Pavement over the railway bridge is unsafe.


21/115.                 Apologies for absence

Apologies for absence were received and accepted from Cllr Viv Rowe & Cllr Andrew Callow (Both Personal)


21/116.                 Code of Conduct and Declarations of Interests



21/117.                 Minutes of the meeting of 14th December

The minutes of the meetings held on 14th December were resolved as a true and accurate record.

Proposed: Cllr I Rowland                              Seconded: Cllr A Rousell                               RESOLVED


21/118.                 Matters Arising from Minutes

None raised.


21/119. To receive an update from the Chairman of the Owsley and Norris Trust

Mr Foot (Chair of Owsley and Norris Trust) gave an overview on the history of the charity and the issues regarding the rights of way to a parcel of land owned by the charity. Mr Foot requested some legal advice from SSDC who said they could not help, therefor the decision was made that the Parish Council would make £500 available to the charity to help with legal fees if needed. Mr Foot is going to look into the costs involved.

Proposed: Cllr I Rowland                              Seconded: Cllr G White                                 RESOLVED


21/120.                 Reports

  1. Report from County Councillor & District Councillor

Cllr Best reported that:

  • Pressure was building for both councils due to the push to get the new Unitary Authority up and running and this was having an impact on the day-to-day activities.
  • Work on the Key Site in Crewkerne has started, he met with the Director of Taylor Wimpy who has said they anticipate the first house to be ready with occupancy in December.
  • Reminded the Parish Council that elections will go ahead as planned in May.


  1. Report from Chairman of the Parish Council & Recreation Field Trust

Cllr I Rowland reported that:

  • Cllr Rowland attended St Bartholomew’s Church as the representative for Misterton at the Institution and Induction of Christopher Davis as Rector for the Wulfric Benefice. Together with the Mayor of Crewkerne they presented a map of Crewkerne and surrounding region.
  • MERT have been busy with a defib training evening where there where 18 attendees.


21/121. Planning including applications currently in circulation/determinations

  1. Planning: None
  2. Determinations: None



21/122.                 Highways & Footpaths

  1. To consider future works for the Parish Ranger

Normal standard work

  1. To consider if a speed Indicator device is needed

Cllr Rowland confirmed that he had done some research on costings and was awaiting a quote.



21/123.                 Amenities

  1. To receive the cemetery inspection report

Clerk spoke with Crewkerne Town Council Clerk who is trying to obtain a contact for the 5 Year headstone check.

Action: Clerk to contact Crewkerne Town Council to try and gain more information

  1. To receive an update on the gateposts project

Clerk to Meet with a Contractor, Cllr Callow and Cllr White at the cemetery 19.01.22 to discuss the necessary works and the possibility of obtaining a quote



21/124.                 Finance and Procedure

  1. To agree invoices for payment
Payee Details   VAT    Total Payment
incl VAT 
Tesco mobile Phone  £                                           –  £       17.99
Cox & Co Payroll services  £                                       3.50  £       21.00
Staff Salary  £     451.10
K M Dike Cemetery grass  £                                      44.20  £     265.20
SSDC Dog Waste Bin  £                                      44.00  £     264.00
SALC Training  £       30.00
Imperative Training LDTD Defib Battery Pads  £                                      19.80  £     118.80
Total VAT to reclaim  £                                    111.50
 TOTAL  £    1,168.09



  1. To receive an update on moving banks

Action: Clerk To follow up with Unity Bank and look into suitable alternatives as a comparison.

  1. To discuss Possibility of Clerk completing the level 2 ILCA (Introduction to local council administration) Course.

Proposed: Cllr I Rowland                      Seconded: Cllr A Rousell                               RESOLVED

  1. To consider budget requirements for 2022/23 financial year and set the precept.

A draft budget document had been circulated. It was proposed to set the precept at £24346 for the forthcoming financial year.

Proposed: Cllr G White                         Seconded: Cllr I Rowland                              RESOLVED

Action: Clerk to notify the SSDC as the billing authority.


21/125. Closed Session:

 Press and public where excluded for consideration of contractual matters

  1.  To consider the possibility of purchasing the WI Hall.

A decision was made that we would decline the offer.

Proposed:  Cllr G White                        Seconded: Cllr B McNeil                               RESOLVED



21/126.                 Items for the next meeting

Any other items to be advised to the Clerk seven days in advance of the meeting.


21/127.                 Date and time of next meeting

Tuesday 15th February, 6.30pm – Misterton WI Hall.